Skimune Nerve - Peripheral neurotoxicity assay
Alcyomics ® has developed a 3D tissue model based in an inert polyHIPE scaffold that enables the culture of multiple cell lineages together in one system. Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) derived neurons and Schwann cells are cultured within a fully humanised tissue model consisting of human dermal fibroblasts, human extracellular matrix (ECM) proteins and a well defined keratinocyte epidermal layer. Markers for mature neurite formation (TUJ1) can be observed extending throughout the 3D construct with direct interaction with surrounding cell lineages. When exposed to known neuronal irritants, our model is shown to respond as shown though changes in detectable neurotransmitter (CGRP & substance P) release.
Contact us to find out more!
Our model has been developed as an alternative to simple 2D culture models to detect peripheral neurotoxic events in the skin. Our model is based on a novel high-throughput, 96-well system, allowing for true 3D culture systems at scales which make sense for pharmaceutical development.
Our system has advantages over 2D neuronal toxicology models in a number of key ways:
- Incorporated cells produce human ECM components, allowing for the generation of a tissue specific ECM and signalling microenvironment.
- Culture of cells in a 3D environment more accurately mimics in vitro conditions.
- Co-culture of multiple cell lineages together in tissue relevant architectures ensures an accurate and sensitive response.
- Project tailorable. Need a specific cell lineage incorporated into the model? Just ask!
Our system has advantages over animal based neuronal toxicology models in a number of key ways:
- Less ethical concerns,
- Significantly higher throughput,
- Less costly than large scale animal studies,
- Quicker experimental turnover ensures excellent quality result in the shortest time possible.