Alcyomics are currently looking to recruit for a laboratory technician to join the team at this exciting time. Details of the position are below and we would love to hear from you so please send your CV and covering letter through to at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Job Title||Technicial Support Officer|
|Reports to||Scientific Manager|
|Department||Client services and Research & Development|
|Location||Biosphere, The Helix , Draymans Way Newcastle upon Tyne NE45BX|
The role will support daily laboratory operations of the company with regards to R&D and client-based studies and requires a broad understanding of the laboratory operations, provide practical and technical support for scientists ensuring that equipment is functioning properly and is ready to use, and that the right materials/apparatus are available and prepared when required. The role will involve supporting the Scientific Manager in writing and reviewing Standard Operating Procedures including supporting the maintenance of relevant policies, procedures and guidelines so that the compliance status of the company is maintained on an on-going basis to meet ISO quality standards. You will support the Scientific Manager in ensuring the daily smooth running of lab services and Health and Safety policies are adhered to. You will also be responsible for delivery of tasks delegated R&D projects and provide support for completion of client studies.
Must have extensive histopathology with tissue sectioning and staining expertise.
Working within a commercial environment would be an advantage
Experience with Quality Standards would be an advantage
- Support for the preparation and maintenance of primary cells from tissue
- Support for the preparation and maintenance of secondary cell lines including conducting regular purity (mycoplasma) and identity testing
- Ensuring all processes are in line with current company quality and safety guidelines
- Support the Scientific Manager to ensure that laboratory safety regulations and necessary precautions and requirements are met.
- Ensure that laboratories and equipment are kept clean and tidy, including checking equipment for safety and advising staff of safety aspects of particular experiments.
- Support the management of ordering system
- Ensuring all work is performed to ISO9001 and all work is completed in accordance with these standards
- Continue maintenance of the ISO9001 standard including participation in internal audits
- Optimisation and development of cell culture methods in collaboration with the Scientific Manager & other scientific staff.
- Supervising cell culture including training and induction where appropriate
- Support the management of frozen cell stocks and cell bank archives
- Carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by the line manager.
- Work with attention to detail and to high standard when delivering client studies
- Maintain documents and records accurately
- Report records of breakages and health & safety issues to the Scientific Manager and filing, catalogue systems and price lists are kept up to date.
- Time management skills
- Able to perform multifunctional roles
- Support the arrangement of safe disposal of chemical, biological and radio-active waste observing appropriate safety and environmental considerations.
- Support the control of stock and annual stock check and the development and maintenance of a computerised stock control system.
- Support the Scientific Manager in ensuring that statutory records of poisons, inflammable liquids, alcohol and radio-active materials are maintained and that all materials are correctly labelled.
- To ensure that statutory checks on electrical equipment are carried out when required and to maintain general equipment in good order.
- Show a flexibility approach to working hours and be willing to work out of hours when required